Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Favorite Finds


My house is full of thrift store finds and I wanted to share some of my favorites. I have a lot of favorites, so I'll periodically post a few at a time. The first is hands-down the best thrift store purchase I've ever come across.

This couch was $79 at Goodwill. We had been wanting something similar and we assumed that a couch would have to be something that we saved for and bought new. I did a double take when I walked by this couch lined up with the la-z-boys and the floral printed sectionals. I was by myself, so I had to park myself on it while trying to flag down an employee. Here's a hint I should have included before... Never walk away from an item you want to purchase or it will probably be claimed by someone else when you get back.


We put our outdated couch on craigslist that afternoon for $250 and sold it right away. That left us enough money to have the new (thrifted) couch professionally cleaned, which is sort of my policy when it comes to buying upholstered furniture second-hand.


The next find I want to share is this kid's drawing table. I had seen this one at Tottini for $299 and I fell in love with the concept. I love the metal bowl in the center for holding crayons, markers, or chalk. My kids used to routinely spill or fight over the box of crayons, but now they are easy to access and easy to clean up. When I found the table it just had a hole in the middle, but I knew with enough searching, I could find something to fit. Two thrift stores and $1.29 later, and I had the perfect bowl. The chairs were given to me for free by an old neighbor, so all together this set cost me $9.29.


Lastly, this typewriter was found by my husband. It was kind of a splurge at $14, but I have been so happy with it. It came in the case, in great shape and as tough as a tank. We leave it out and let the kids play with it all the time. They love playing "office" and typing "emails".

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog! We are in the process of a remodel and picking up new finds. Wondering how you got your sofa professionally cleaned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog! I love the drawing table for the kids...Margaret Ann shared your blog with me!
    It's so nice to have someone remind me that if I am patient, I could find exactly what I need/want for under $10! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, most carpet cleaning companies also offer in-home upholstery cleaning. I can't remember the name of the company we used, but they specialized in using environmentally friendly cleaning products.

    Sarah, glad you like the blog! Thanks for checking it out.

    ReplyDelete