Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

an antiques roadshow moment


Driving around this weekend I realized that garage sale season is in full swing. There were signs for sales nearly every other block, and of course, I had to check as many out as I had time for. I drove around most of the morning with nothing to show for it but a $1 pair of boots for Tula. I regretfully missed a great deal on some fabulous green chairs at a sale in Wallingford, and I figured the best part of the day was simply walking around in the sunshine.

Later in the afternoon I went back out to go to a certain store in search of a gift for Patrick's 30th birthday, and on my way I decided to stop at one last sale. I'm so glad I did. There were tables and tables piled knick-knacks, toiletries, disheveled doilies, and nearly every other cliche garage sale item you can imagine. Signs stated that everything was 1/2 off the marked price but most items weren't priced. The first thing I found was this cute little plastic deer. I guessed it would be around 25 cents, and I thought it would be a hit with Tula. She loves it, but I inadvertently set it on a nightstand next to my new clock and decided they were a perfect pair. I think she'll be okay with setting it there when she's not playing with it.


I also picked up a beautiful glass pitcher. I'm a sucker for anything white and wood, and I figured it couldn't be more than a dollar. Ready to pay, I asked how much for both items. $1.50. I offered $1.25 because that's the change I had, and got back in the car.

When I got home, I decided to do a little research on the pitcher. I've never really bought anything second-hand that was worthy of a trip to the Antiques Roadshow, but I always hold out a little hope. Thankfully, the pitcher still had a label with the maker's name, which made the google search much easier. I soon found out that it is a 1960 Jacob E. Bang piece produced for Kastrup Holmegaard Glass in Denmark. I can't find an exact price but a similar pitcher (minus the bamboo cane and the label) is going for $140. Not too bad for my little $1 investment!

I still haven't figured out a good place to keep it. I bought it because it's pretty, and I want to put it where I can see it, but with two kids and hardwood floors, my options are a pretty limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment