Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

friday finds


Today I had the pleasure of thrifting with a good friend. We are both regulars at Goodwill so we decided to try a few thrift stores that we don't shop as often. Our first stop (after coffee) was St. Vincent dePaul in north seattle. The prices seemed on the high end for thrift, but the store is organized well, and the book section is reasonably priced. We both found several books for our kids ranging from 49—69¢ cents. I did see two nice pieces of furniture, but neither were priced and I don't really have places for them, so I never inquired further. There was a sign posted for a 50% off sale on Monday which would make the prices much more comparable to the other thrift stores in the area.

The little pink book is filled with really sweet illustrations. I'm going to find a place in Tula's room for it. Here's the illustration from the dust jacket:



We only had time for one more stop so we decided on Deseret Industries. We were short on time there, so I wasn't able to do a thorough search. I did find a beautiful teal vintage Moire Glaze KYES tray for $1.50. I'm not sure if I'll use it for a vanity tray or a serving tray. Now I kind of wish I had two! I've seen several for sale on ebay and Etsy, so I probably could.



Here's another great find by Margaret Ann. It's a KitchenAid K45SS that she picked up at Goodwill for $19.99. Considering they retail on Amazon for $183, I think she got a fantastic deal!


Here's what she has to say about it:
"I tested it at the store, and then brought it home and cleaned it. I used it to make some chocolate chip cookies. I am in love with it. I am also expecting it to develop a crazy loud motor noise and/or start smoking momentarily, but [we] thought it was worth the risk."


4 comments:

  1. Update on the KitchenAid mixer: in addition to the cookies, I used it to make brownies on Friday night and crepe mix this morning. It works beautifully. I spent some time on KitchenAid websites, reading up on oil leaks (ours produced a tiny drip every 4-5 hours). I found a solution for the drip & it seems to have disappeared (though we shall see). Seriously, I can't get over getting one of these for twenty bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the book you found for Tula's room. I have a few of those and they are so sweet.

    One word of caution about the St. Vincent dePaul thrift store: It is right next to one of those drive-thru coffee stands with girls in lingerie which I inadvertently parked next to a couple weeks ago. As I was pulling my 3 boys out of our van, I looked up to discover that the barista was wearing a hot pink bra and thong in plain view of my kiddos. I've since learned to park away from the stand and take the boys out on the other side of the van. =)

    Margaret Ann--That is an amazing find! I recently got a Kitchen Aid mixer myself (a gift) and the only problem I've found with it is that it works so well and makes baking so easy that I use it ALL THE TIME. I'm never going to lose this baby weight when every time I look at my mixer I think 'hmmm...maybe I'll just whip up some cinnamon rolls or cookies or bicuits or...' well, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee. I know exactly what you mean, Marin. I was tempted to add, "Well, I made the cookies to experiment with the mixer and the brownies were because we were having company and..."--all true, but who am I kidding? I bake a lot. I shudder when I think about losing the baby weight this time (and by the way, I think you look great :).

    ReplyDelete